Saturday, March 3, 2007

THE GREAT WALL and other "stuff"


March 3, 2007
The Great Wall was interesting. I didn’t realize just how steep it is. The steps are very uneven. Some of them were so high it was hard to climb them. Clayton and I went up about 2 levels. You can tell by the pictures that it was raining and very foggy. We haggled for a t-shirt – I think we could have gone lower. Oh well…now we have a Great Wall T-shirt. After the Great Wall, we went to eat lunch. It was served on a big lazy susan in the middle of the table. A lot of different dishes were served. I tried a few things, but pretty much stayed with rice. Clayton ate just about everything that was served (except the fish with the head and tail attached) We went into a Friendship store afterward and looked around. Some people bought things but we didn’t. We will hit another Friendship store later during the trip. If you look at something with interest, the sales people run up to you to try and make the sale. I was looking at something and then decided to wait. The sales lady then proceeded to follow me all over the store. She hung back a bit, but was definitely eyeing me. This kept going on until I “crossed a line” I guess. As soon as I crossed this “invisible line” she abruptly turned and went back to where she was when I was showing interest. I guess they have territories within the store that they have to stay in. We were supposed to go to Tieneman Square but when we got there they had it closed to the public. We don’t know why. I was very tired by then anyway and with the cold rain it was probably for the best. Our guide told us about it as we drove around it. The traffic here is crazy. They have bikes and cars together in the same place on the secondary roads. Everyone drives so close together. At one point there was probably about a “hands” difference between our bus and another one.

Tomorrow we will get up early and go to the airport to catch a plane to Nanchang and there meet Mylia about 4:00 p.m. What an exciting day!!

No comments: